Sunday, February 12, 2006

What I think: where I stood on the charter

I was among those supporting the charter initiative. I felt that the town and its budget had grown too large and unwieldy to be managed by such a large “committee,” and one that only meets a few times each year. I felt the system lacked the ability to act with the sort of practical speed and efficiency that would be desirable from a modern government in the 21st century.

But the people have spoken, and that is what democracy is all about. And as the saying goes, “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.”

This is how Amherst government is going to work, and for it to be the best it can be, more of us need to take part – by paying attention, by voting, by running for Town Meeting, by engaging ourselves in the process.

0 comments: